Friday, December 5, 2008

Spicy Club Fries


I love Cafe Happy in Kirkland. One of my favorite dishes is Spicy Club Fries. I have no idea why it is called club fries - maybe because everything is cut into matchsticks? - anyways, if you find yourself in Kirkland during lunch or dinner hours, stop by this place. It's Taiwanese Vegetarian, and so delicious.

I decided to try and make this dish the other night - Dev was out with the boys, so it seemed like a good opportunity to give it a go. I know for a fact, Dev wouldn't eat this... even if he was starving to death. NOPE. Heh.

Spicy Stir Fry

Veggie Gold Roast (a quarter or less of the loaf)
(I think that is what it is called. It comes in a rectangle block)
Half of a large zucchini
1 carrot
4 small Shitake mushrooms
Chili Bean Sauce
1 garlic clove, diced
1/4in ginger, diced
Sake
soy sauce
vegetable broth


I bought this Chili Bean Sauce at Cafe Happy, so I knew it was the right ingredient to add. It is so good. You can add it to any dish as a condiment as well!

Slice veggie loaf and veggies into matchsticks

Heat oil and saute garlic until fragrant. Add veggie loaf and saute until it starts turning golden brown.

Toss in carrots and saute a couple minutes before adding the mushrooms, zucchini and ginger. Add a good spoonful of Chili Bean Sauce, a drizzle of Sake, broth and soy sauce. Stir fry until incorporated.


I thought it came out fairly good. Next time, I'll probably add some Sriracha Chili Sauce to make it spicier, but it was still good drizzling it on after the fact.

UPDATE: I just had the real dish today and there is definitely something I am missing, maybe mushroom soy sauce? There was a stronger mushroom taste than I remember, and less chili flavor, but with a lot of heat. So good.

No comments: