Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Eggnog Pound Cake with Butter Rum Glaze


Around the holidays I usually have a hankering for my mom's Rum Cake! Its so delicious.

I was about to bake one, but I came across an eggnog pound cake recipe that sounded interesting as well, so I decided to meld the 2 recipes together! In the end, it was tasty, but I prefer my mom's rum cake.

There are a few things I'd change with this recipe:
- more rum in the cake batter
- full box of vanilla pudding mix
- chopped pecans mom puts on top. I think it does help the glaze to soak into the cake more.

Eggnog Pound Cake
Preheat oven to 350 F

2 sticks unsalted butter
3 eggs
2 C sugar
1 C eggnog
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 rum

3 cups flour
3 T instant vanilla pudding mix
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg


Mix dry ingredients together.
Grease Bundt pan and dust with flour.


Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.


Add flour in 3 additions, alternating with eggnog and ending with flour. Add vanilla and rum.

Bake for about 55 minutes - or until cake is done.

Butter Rum Glaze
1/4C water
1/4C butter
1/2C sugar
2T dark rum



Melt butter, add sugar and water bring to a boil for 5 min.
Take off the heat and add rum.

Let cake cool for 5-10 minutes and remove from pan.
Poke holes on the top of the cake and pour glaze over while cake is still warm.

No comments: