Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mandarin Chicken : Second attempt


The last time I made this dish (in Sept.), I wasn't quite satisfied with the batter - it wasn't crispy enough. I decided to alter the recipe a bit, and it turned out exactly as I hoped! YAY!

Marinade
2 T soy sauce
1.5 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp sesame oil
1.5 tsp cornstarch
dash of white pepper


Combine ingredients and marinate the chicken for about 30min.

Batter
6 T flour
6 T cornstarch
3 T rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg white
dash of salt
water


Batter should be the consistency of thick pancake batter



Dip the chicken in batter and deep fry until golden brown.

Sauce
Juice from 1 can Mandarin oranges
2 spoonfuls sugar
2 spoonfuls vinegar
2 spoonfuls ketchup
salt to taste
(a few spoonfuls of cornstarch mixed with water to thicken)


Mix together ingredients and simmer until thickened.


Fry up chicken a second time to crisp up coating.
Lightly drizzle sauce over chicken.



Serve!
*UPDATE: 2010.  I've made a few adjustments to this recipe over time. I ditched the rice flour - mostly because I don't always have it on hand. I now us 3/4C flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp  baking soda, salt and 3T cornstarch. Also, and updated sauce:  The juice of one small can of mandarin oranges (squeezing all from the segments as well), 2T sugar, 1T vinegar, a couple of big squirts of ketchup, dash of rice wine, dash of white pepper, dash of soy sauce, 1 chopped garlic clove. I heat to a boil and reduce until thick! I hope you like this as well!

No comments: