Monday, September 29, 2008

Salted Oatmeal Cookies


GAH! ... look at the time.
It is almost TWO in the morning.... I really should go to bed, but hey! Dev's still playing Lego Batman (Heh.) He's awake... I'm awake... what the hell, I'll turn the oven on. I've been wanting to try this recipe for some time.


Salted Oatmeal Cookies (Cook's Illustrated)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

1 C all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
14 T unsalted butter (room temp)
1 C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1 egg (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 C Quaker old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
coarse sea salt


I recently started using King Arthur flours. It costs a bit more, but I have to say, I noticed a difference in the texture.

Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 2-3 min.)
Add the egg and vanilla until combined.
Stir together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a small bowl.
Slowly add to butter/sugar mixture until well incorporated.
Stir in oatmeal.
I added 1/2 bag of white chocolate chips as well.
(update: semi-sweet chocolate is even better)


Roll dough into balls and place onto parchment paper.
Press lightly to flatten dough. Sprinkle a few flecks of sea salt.

I've never used sea salt before. I ordered some from Penzey's online a couple months ago because I wanted to make Fleur de Sel Caramels. I still haven't gotten around to doing that yet, so I'm happy I can finally use some for these...

Bake for 13+ min., until golden brown.
C.I. suggest baking one sheet at a time for even crispness - I figured that would add another 13 min. I didn't want to spend...awake. So, I just baked 2 sheets at the same time.
I was skeptical, but I have to tell you, I really love these cookies. The texture is crispy & chewy, which reminds me of florentine cookies. The sea salt adds a nice accent - I think I'll add more sea salt next time.

UPDATE!: depending upon how long your oven has been preheating, cooking time will be shorter. I baked these at a max. of 11 min. this past time around. Just keep an eye on them. The middle should look a little glossy (to maintain a chewy texture) and golden brown around the edges.

No comments: