Saturday, October 24, 2009

I can't believe it's not BACON


Mushrooms that taste like bacon? Seriously? The first time I heard about this insane concept was from our friend Joe. I didn't believe it until we tried it. It really does - similar to the fatty, crispy, burned portions of bacon. I am amazed. And those of you who know Dev, he LOVES his bacon and doesn't like mushrooms at all. He ate these and said he was 'pleasantly surprised'!

Preheat oven to 350F

Shiitake BACON
1/2 lb Shiitake mushrooms
1/4 C olive oil
1 tsp sea salt




I didn't follow the recipe exactly because I didn't have 1/2 lb of mushrooms. Also, I found a second recipe online that soaked the mushrooms in 1C soy sauce. I decided to mix half of the mushrooms I had with olive oil/salt and the other with olive oil and a couple spoonfuls of soy sauce.

Place mushrooms on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 30min.- 1 hour, depending upon how big you mushrooms are. Check up on them every 10min. (flipping/turning) and take them out once they become dark and caramelized. They will shrink half in size.


Let them cool completely. ENJOY!
*NOTE: I think the soy adds to the 'bacon' flavor illusion. But don't add BOTH salt and soy. I did this (a second time) and it is WAY too salty.

No comments: