Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Peanut Butter & Jelly bars!

HA. Some of you know I'm allergic to peanuts and are probably wondering why I made these. This recipe sounded pretty good, and well, Dev loves PB&J sandwhiches, so I wanted to give it a go. I didn't feel like dying today, so I have no idea if they taste good, personally.


Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars (Barefoot Contessa)

Preheat oven to 350F.

2 sticks of unsalted butter (room temp)
1 1/2 C sugar (I used 1 1/4C granulated sugar and 1/4C brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs (room temp)
2 C creamy peanut butter
3 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
jam


Cream butter and sugars together.
Add vanilla, peanut butter and eggs (one at a time).
Mix dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
Slowly add to the peanut butter mixture - don't over mix.


Line a 9x13 pan with foil, for easy removal.
Press about 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the pan.
Spread jam on top.
I didn't have a lot of jam, so I used strawberry fruit spread on one side, and Raspberry preserves on the other.


Crumble chunks of the remaining dough onto the top of the jam.
NOTE: protective 'gloves'. ha. This process took so long with these sandwhich BAGS on my hands, I finally got BRAVE and took them off.

Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown.


Taste Test with Dev!
Dev was my food critic, since again, I didn't want to be DEAD.
He said... "it tastes good! ...a little dry... subtle peanut taste... can't tell the difference between the raspberry and strawberry jams..." I don't think I'll be baking any peanuty foods for a while... the peanut aroma filled the house when it was baking, and frankly, made me feel sick - I don't like the smell of peanut butter either. HEH.

No comments: