Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cheddar+Bacon Burgers, Oven Fries & Rings

I found a recipe for Oven Fried Potato Wedges from Cooks Illustrated and had to try it (but with a smaller cut!) 

I also took a couple pics of the burgers, but decided not to post them - they were storebought/pre-made patties & I didn't want to look like a cheater. heh.

Oven Fries (adapted)

Preheat oven to 475F. 
Place oven rack to the lowest or 2nd lowest position.

2 Russet potatoes, peeled and cut.
4 T oil, plus 1 T to coat (don't use Olive Oil - smoking point is too low)
3/4 tsp salt
ground black pepper

Peel and cut potatoes. Soak for 10 minutes in hot water.
Drain, pat dry and coat with 1 T oil.

Pour oil into heavy, rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle on salt and pepper - turn to coat surface of pan. Place potato slices on top of salted oil. Cover with foil and bake for 5 minutes to steam!  

Remove foil and bake for 9-12 minutes, flip potatoes and bake an additional 5-8 minutes. Cool on papertowels or a cooling rack. Enjoy!

Onion Rings
Man, I really liked the batter for the Mandarin chicken so much, I wanted to try and make a few onion rings. I ended up making half the recipe and added a little cayenne pepper and Lawry's Season Salt to the batter this time.

Ah ha! They didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. I think if served immediately, they'd be crispier. The texture was about right, but, after sitting a bit (while I was making the burgers), they softened up too much for my liking. They also tasted greasy. (hmmm. I think the oil temp was too low)

...but, let's not forget dessert. Makers Rocks. 

No comments: